by Gina Burgess
What are your New Year’s Resolutions as a writer? What? You didn’t make any? Well, here are some suggestions for 2020 especially and specifically for writers that Christian Authors Community & Services highly recommends.
I will not:
- Let other people’s negative opinions affect how I feel about my writing ability.
- Rewrite a sentence to avoid grammar or syntax that I’m not sure about, instead of looking it up.
- Hit send before I proofread.
- Give up before my writing gets published.
- Be satisfied with mediocre drivel, even if I can get away with it.
- Hurry through life without noticing and thanking God for all the blessings. (My insert.)
- Miss a single day without a conversation with an imaginary person specifically to improve my fiction writing.
From Writer’s Digest…
- I will make time for my writing. (Set a realistic writing goal and strive to meet it daily.)
- I will step outside my comfort zone.
From Jeff Goins…
- I will write what scares me.
- I will write even when I don’t feel like it.
- I will diligently research.
- I will break a rule.
- I will not take myself so seriously.
From various random places…
- I will meet and cultivate a friendship/relationship with at least one other author.
- I will read, read, and read some more.
- I will learn how to market my book(s): create a marketing plan and timeline.
- I will learn more about the business of book publishing.
- I will get involved in a writing community.
- I will indie publish a book this year.